V is for Vegetable
Let us not forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other arts will follow. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization…Daniel Webster
2013 promises to be another tough year. Many unemployed and underemployed neighbors will sow victory gardens and some will bring their surpluses to farmers markets. If you are interested in supporting these farmers, you can locate nearby farmers markets using this link.
Maybe this is the year YOU become a farmer. It’s not that hard, the food is good, and time spent outdoors is good for the soul. We’ll be planting a garden this year. We plant one most years, but our Boy Scout has taken charge of the project. In a couple weeks, we’ll be planting seeds harvested from last year’s best specimens.
If you are thinking about planting a garden, here are some resources that will make your season successful…
- Starting Plants Indoors from Seed – UNH Cooperative Extension
- Starting Seeds Indoors
- 2013 Best Spring Planting Dates for Seeds for Danville, NH
- Companion Planting: Basic Concepts & Resources
- 21 Best Crops for Your Edible Garden
- Top 6 Most Cost-effective Vegetables to Grow
- Three Sisters: Corn, Beans and Squash